Department of Mathematics
Assistant Professor in Statistical Machine Learning
The Department of Mathematics in the College of Arts and Sciences, Howard University, invites applications for a tenure-track position at the rank of Assistant Professor with research interests in Statistical Machine Learning, inclusive of the Mathematics of Machine Learning, Data Science and Artificial Intelligence, Computational Statistics. We seek outstanding applicants with a demonstrated track record of excellence in research and teaching and an interest in joining our program in Statistical Sciences and the Mathematics of Machine Learning. Successful candidates are expected to develop vigorous, extramurally funded research programs, actively participate in the Department's teaching and curriculum development at the undergraduate and graduate levels, mentor undergraduate and graduate students, and engage in service activities. Evidence of interest and success in mentoring underrepresented minority students is highly desired.
Howard University, a culturally diverse, comprehensive, research intensive and historically Black private university, provides an educational experience of exceptional quality at the undergraduate, graduate, and professional levels to students of high academic standing and potential, with particular emphasis upon educational opportunities for Black students. Howard University is classified as a Doctoral University: Higher Research Activity research by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching. It is a residential campus of approximately 12,000 students located in the heart of the nation’s capital, Washington, DC.
The Department of Mathematics currently consists of 40 faculty members, conducting pure and applied research with specializations in Algebra, Analysis, Applied Mathematics to include Mathematical Biology and Dynamical Systems, Combinatorics, Probability and Statistics, Geometry and Topology, Number Theory. It offers BS, MS, and PhD degrees in Mathematics.
- Earned doctorate in machine learning, statistical sciences with focus on machine learning, in statistical machine learning, the mathematics of machine learning, computational statistics or closely related disciplines from an accredited institution;
- Research interests in at least one area among statistical machine learning, the mathematics of machine learning, data science and analytics, computational statistics;
- Record of scholarship, teaching, and professional service commensurate with the rank of assistant professor;
- Effective communication and organizational skills; and
- Evidence of successful grant writing experience.
Procedure for Candidacy
Complete applications should be addressed to Dr. Katharine Gurski, Search Committee Chair, and submitted electronically to email@example.com. Complete applications consist of a single PDF file containing:
- Cover letter addressing qualifications listed above;
- Current curriculum vitae;
- Two-page statement of research accomplishments, interests and future plans;
- Two-page statement of teaching experience and philosophy; and
- Names and contact information for at least three references who will provide letters upon request from the search committee.
Screening will begin on November 15, 2021 and continue until the position is filled. The desired starting date is no later than August 16, 2022. Additional details and information can be found at https://mathematics.howard.edu.
The University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national and ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender or gender identity, marital status, religion, disability or protected veterans status. Veterans and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Inquiries regarding provisions for persons with disabilities or veterans status, Equal Employment Opportunity and Title IX should be directed to the Office of Employee Relations and Equal Employment Opportunity at 202-806-1280.